IOS compatibility of our iPhone collection
We offer a giant range of refurbished Apple devices on our site, all of which have and are compatible with a number of different IOS (operating systems). These operating systems allow for different controls, features and most importantly app compatibility. The accessibility of apps is a massive part of any phone, with different IOS offering different compatibility. This blog is going to go over the Apple devices we have available, the IOS the devices have and what that means in terms of apps.
First on the list is our refurbished iPhone 4S, a very old Apple product that released back in October of 2011. With the iPhone 4S, the initial IOS it will have is an IOS 5.0, one of the oldest operating systems that Apple has. Because of this, the Apple iPhone 4S will not be compatible with a few major apps. Including apps like Facebook, YouTube, Google Chrome and other major apps. There are ways around this to install some of these apps that you can find online though. The most recent and last IOS that is available on the Apple 4S is the IOS 9.3.6. Which does allow compatibility with a number of different apps, but this IOS is still quite old.
iPad 2 and iPad 3:
The iPad 3 and iPad 3 suffer from the same issues with the iPhone 4S. With old initial IOS causing incompatibility with numerous different major apps like Facebook, YouTube and many more. The iPad 2 has an initial IOS 4.3, a very old Apple IOS that has limited app access. The iPad 3 has an initial IOS 5.1, again being very similar to the iPhone 4S with very limited app access. Both of these are very old products with old IOS. But they can be improved by installing their most recent systems, with the IOS 9.3.6 being compatible with both devices.
iPad 4 and iPad Mini:
The iPad 4 and iPad Mini both have some incompatible apps with their initial operating systems. Both devices have an initial IOS 6. Which is an operating system that has a number of incompatible major apps, like Facebook, Google Chrome and more. But this can be resolved by installing the most recent IOS on the devices. With the IOS 10.3.4 on the iPad 4 and the IOS 9.3.5 on the iPad Mini, resolving the app compatibility issues the devices may have.
iPhone 5 and 5S:
Next is the iPhone 5 and 5S. Both of which have quite old IOS, with the iPhone 5 having an IOS 6.0 and the 5S having an IOS 7.0. Similarly, to the 4S a few apps are not compatible with these IOS systems. With Facebook being a notable app not being compatible with the IOS 6. The IOS 7 is less restricted in terms of app access, with major apps being available. But the IOS 6.0 suffers from some of the same issues as the IOS 5.0. Both of these devices are compatible with far more recent IOS, with the iPhone 5 being compatible with the IOS 10.3.4 and the iPhone 5S being compatible with the IOS 12.5.3. Both of these systems are not as recent as the current IOS 14.5, but they do offer some greater app compatibility compared to older systems and will have to be installed.
The last of our devices that you may experience some app compatibility issues with is the iPad Air. With an initial IOS of IOS 7.1, the number of apps that are inaccessible are far more limited. And even if you have app issues, you can easily implement the most recent IOS of this device: the IOS 12.5.2.
iPhone 6 Series:
With the iPhone 6 series of devices, you will not suffer with as many issues with app compatibility. The iPhone 6 has an initial IOS 8.0, iPhone 6S has an initial IOS 9.0, iPhone 6 Plus has an initial IOS 8.0 and the iPhone 6S Plus has an initial IOS 9.0. These do not suffer from many app compatibility issues. But if you do encounter such issues, you can easily implement the most recent IOS with IOS 12.5.3 for iPhone 6 and 6 plus, and IOS 14.5.1 being compatible for 6S Plus and 6S.
Apple Devices with no App Issues:
The following devices will not have compatibility issues:
- iPhone SE – has an initial IOS of IOS 9.3, but a latest IOS of IOS 14.5.1. This is an older product with an older initial IOS, but it is fully compatible with the most recent Apple iPhone operating system. So, there will be no app compatibility issues.
- iPhone 7 – has an initial IOS of IOS 10.0, with its latest IO being the IOS 14.5.1. Again, an older product but it is still fully compatible with the most recent Apple iPhone operating system. Therefore, there will be no app compatibility issues.
- iPhone 8 – initial IOS: IOS 11.0, latest IOS: IOS 14.5.1 - this is an older product with a quite recent initial IOS, but is also fully compatible with the most recent Apple iPhone operating system. But with either IOS, you will not have any app compatibility issues.
- iPhone 7 Plus – same situation as with the regular iPhone 7. It has a fairly recent initial IOS which will cause no app issues, but can also have the most recent IOS implemented
- iPhone 8 Plus - has the same IOS as the normal iPhone 8, so there will be no issues with app compatibility.
- iPhone SE 2020 – contains an initial IOS 13.4, but can also access the latest IOS 14.5.1 - as it is a more recent iPhone, you should not expect any app compatibility issues. And because it is also compatible with the most recent IOS and will be for a longer term, you can expect this to remain the same.
- iPhone X – another fairly recent iPhone. Has an initial IOS 11.0.1, and the latest IOS 14.5.1 - of course with recent IOS available with the iPhone X, you do not have to worry about app compatibility. All the apps you expect will be available.
- iPhone XR – again another recent iPhone. Has an initial IOS 12.0, with a recent IOS 14.5.1 - again do not expect any app compatibility issues due to the recent IOS systems.
- iPhone XS and XS Max both have the same IOS. An initial IOS 12.0 and a latest IOS 14.5.1. Both are very recent systems, and will have no app compatibility issues.
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max – some of the more recent iPhone devices with some high-quality features. You should not expect and will not have any app compatibility issues. The iPhone 11 series have initial IOS 13.0, but can install the IOS 14.5.1.
- iPad Pro 12.9 2015 1st gen – this is not a very recent iPad Pro, with of course a new one releasing this year. But you can still get some great use out of this iPad Pro 2015. Using an initial IOS 9.1, but also compatible with the latest IOS: IOS 14.5.1. You can expect no compatibility issues.
- iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max – this is the most recent range of Apple iPhones. And so, you should not expect any app compatibility issues considering the phone is fitted with the most recent operating systems. Having an initial IOS 14.1 and capable of installing the IOS 14.5.1.
Best Budget Smartphones of 2022
by Denise Timmis | updated Sep 08, 2022
Looking for the best cheap smartphone? Here’s our round up of the best phones for your money. We’ve looked at everything from camera quality to battery life and storage.... READ MORE >
iPhone Depreciation 2022 | The Perfect Time to Sell Your iPhone 12 or 13
by Denise Timmis | updated Aug 16, 2022
With the much-anticipated iPhone 14 release just weeks away, many people will be looking to trade in their iPhone 12 or 13. We take a look at when iPhones tend to depreciate and the perfect time to trade in your old device to make maximum cash!...... READ MORE >
iPhone 11 vs iPhone 12: What’s the difference?
by Denise Timmis | updated Aug 09, 2022
New Apple models mean new features and upgrades. But is it worth trading in your iPhone 11 for the iPhone 12? We’ll help you decide. Whether it’s camera quality, battery life, or design that’s the Apple of your eye, find everything you need to know here. We’ll compare all the features and functionalities so that you can choose the right handset. ... READ MORE >