< back to main hub
Refurbished Phone Conditions – introducing new ‘fair’ condition
Phone advice | by Denise Timmis | Jul 13, 2022
Refurbished Phone Conditions – introducing new ‘fair’ condition
Searching for a device that’ll cost you less? You’re in the right place. Buying a refurbished phone with Envirofone means getting a good-as-new handset and serious cost savings. But what can you expect from a refurbished phone? What kind of condition do refurbished phones come in? Is ‘refurbished’ just like new? And how can you be sure you’re not buying a faulty product? In this article, we’ll explore everything you need to know—from testing procedures to environmental benefits and quality promises.
What does ‘refurbished phone’ mean?
Refurbished phones are pre-owned handsets returned by customers and restored to working order. Unlike second-hand phones, refurbished devices are checked, wiped and rebuilt, to ensure they reach a certain standard before being sold.
At Envirofone, every device we sell is placed through a rigorous testing process to ensure refurbished phones work as expected when you receive them. Once checks are complete, refurbished phones are placed into categories to show buyers what kind of condition they can expect. All data from previous owners is wiped and removed.
Envirofone’s refurbished phone conditions
Every phone we sell is fully functional. However, some models are nearer to brand-new than others. Take a look at our breakdown below to view our condition levels.
- Refurbished Fair: Our latest specification. Your phone is fully functional with battery health of over 70%. You’ll see wear and tear to the front, back or sides. However, the trade-off is you’ll get a handset at a fraction of its retail price.
- Refurbished Good: Expect moderate signs of use, such as scratches and scuffs on the screen. There may also be marks on the back and sides. But there won’t be one crack, and your phone will work brilliantly.
- Refurbished Excellent: You’ll need a good eye to notice marks! There could be an isolated scratch here and there, but there won’t be many. The phone will also be in excellent working order.
- Refurbished Pristine: It’s like a brand-new phone, only cheaper. These handsets have almost no marks or scratches and work like new. They’re likely a result of a customer changing their mind after purchase. So, chances are, they’ve had little to no use before being resold.
- Refurbished As New: These phones have no signs of use and expertly refurbished to the highest standard so will look and feel like a brand new phone.
- New Boxed: And the crème de la crème—New Boxed. These perfectly working devices have no marks, scuffs or scratches. They also arrive in their original packaging.
Why buy ‘Refurbished Fair’ phones?
Reason 1 – lower price
Perhaps you’re looking for a new phone that won’t break the bank. Or maybe you’re looking to scale back your spending but still need a decent working smartphone. Whatever the case, Refurbished Fair phones arrive in working order and cost a snip of their retail price. So, if you’re unphased by signs of wear and tear, you could save a bucket-load with a Refurbished Fair device.
Reason 2 – great option for kids, teenagers or students
If you’re just about to start university or college, your funds might be low and new technology might not be something you can afford to splash out on. Or perhaps you’re a parent looking to buy a handset for your child or teenager, and don’t want to fork out for a new device.
Reason 3 – better for the environment
Buying refurbished phones puts less strain on the environment as handsets are reused and repurposed, instead of being sent to landfill.
Reason 4 – flexibility
Refurbished phones are perfect if you prefer pay-as-you-go, a Sim-only deal, or fancy a cheeky upgrade before your contract ends. Most of our refurbed devices are SIM-free and aren’t tied to a specific network, so you can start using your new phone right away.
Which models can I buy in ‘Refurbished Fair’ category?
- Apple iPhone 11
- Apple iPhone SE 2020
- Apple iPhone 8
- Apple iPhone X
- Apple iPhone XS
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S10
- Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
- Samsung Galaxy S10e
- Samsung Galaxy A71
How Envirofone test and refurbish phones
Tested, graded, Quality guaranteed. Refurbished phones at Envirofone are put through a strict process to ensure you’re buying a top-notch device each and every time.
- Testing Worried a refurbished phone might not work? Don’t fret. Every handset we receive goes through a rigorous 100-point testing process. Our diagnostic system checks everything, from the speakers and the screen to the mic and memory. So, rest assured, we won’t sell you a phone unless it’s 100% functional and reaches our high standards.
- Grading - After we’ve finished testing, it’s time to grade. Our grading is based more on cosmetic appearance than functionality. In fact, every refurbished phone we sell is factory standard, meaning your device will be in full working order. ‘Fair’ and ‘Good’ devices may show more signs of wear and tear, though. But if this doesn’t bother you, these handsets are a great way to save some serious cash!
- 12 month warranty - We’re so confident in our testing process that we provide a 12-month warranty for every handset we sell. We also know, now and again, faults can develop over time. So, we like to give our customers peace of mind should something crop up. Better still, there’s no extra cost for the warranty, unlike insuring your device with a network provider.
We’re huge fans of refurbished phones. Not only does it allow you to buy a fantastic handset for less, but they also reduce your carbon footprint, as devices aren’t needlessly thrown into landfill sites.
At Envirofone, refurbished handsets are affordable, SIM-free, and offer excellent performance, thanks to our rigorous testing process. Still unsure? There’s more. We also offer a free 12-month warranty on every device and guarantee next-day delivery. We’ll even give you your money back if you change your mind within our 30-day cooling-off period. That’s why we’re one of the UK’s top refurbished phone retailers.
So, what are you waiting for? Head to our refurbished phone page to check out our range of affordable mobiles from top phone manufacturers!
Get in touch
Need any more info? Visit our advice centre or get in touch today. We’re always happy to help.
Best Budget Smartphones of 2022
by Denise Timmis | updated Sep 08, 2022
Looking for the best cheap smartphone? Here’s our round up of the best phones for your money. We’ve looked at everything from camera quality to battery life and storage.... READ MORE >
iPhone Depreciation 2022 | The Perfect Time to Sell Your iPhone 12 or 13
by Denise Timmis | updated Aug 16, 2022
With the much-anticipated iPhone 14 release just weeks away, many people will be looking to trade in their iPhone 12 or 13. We take a look at when iPhones tend to depreciate and the perfect time to trade in your old device to make maximum cash!...... READ MORE >
iPhone 11 vs iPhone 12: What’s the difference?
by Denise Timmis | updated Aug 09, 2022
New Apple models mean new features and upgrades. But is it worth trading in your iPhone 11 for the iPhone 12? We’ll help you decide. Whether it’s camera quality, battery life, or design that’s the Apple of your eye, find everything you need to know here. We’ll compare all the features and functionalities so that you can choose the right handset. ... READ MORE >